Communities In Schools (CIS) of Northwest Michigan Behavior Support Specialist: Responsible for working with building principals, classroom teachers, and CIS staff in the Mancelona Public Schools district to support and help improve social, emotional, and academic outcomes for students.
Behavior Support Specialist works with CIS Site Coordinators to execute the CIS School Support Plans and meet the needs of the student population at the school sites. Duties include:
- Gather and analyze data related to student behavior and behavior plans
- Promote strategies for preventing behavior escalation including providing sensory or movement breaks, reinforcing appropriate behavior, or pre-teaching or re-teaching behavior expectations in specific situations
- Develop and maintain Student Support Plans for identified students
- Support district-wide professional development and ongoing training in behavior supports including Nonviolent Crisis Intervention and PBIS
- Facilitate practice sessions of hands-on intervention strategies to increase capacity with these last-resort techniques
Aside from having experience in working with school-age children, effective written and verbal communication skills and familiarity with local health and human service agencies the Behavior Support Specialist must possess the knowledge, skills and personal attributes needed by entry-level professional to support the critical features of positive youth development settings. These core competencies are as follows:
- High School Diploma and specialized training in behavior supports with preference to candidates with a Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) certificate
- Ability to work well with school staff, students, and families
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Understanding of Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS)
- Understanding of Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
- Proficiency with interpreting data related to student behavior and behavior plans
- Respect for confidentiality is required
Interested candidates who meet qualifications may forward their resume directly to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please) by November 10th or mail to: Communities In Schools of Northwest Michigan, Attention: Executive Director, 205 Grove Street, Mancelona, MI 49659.